Saturday, March 19, 2011

Good News

Wednesdays tests were a piece of cake compared to the others. I had an echocardiogram and pulmonary function test. The echo was done by a sweet lady named Bernadette (I wanted to break out in song when she told me her name - I'm sure I could have revived some of the Four Tops sweet moves too!). She is originally from the Caribbean and still has a pretty thick accent that I could have listened to all day. She was a talker and had a great sense of humor, two things I love. An echo is basically an ultrasound of your heart so we had plenty of time to talk. She ended the test by boldly declaring, "Good news, Jennyfuh! You have a heart and it is working!". I hope I get Bernadette for my next echo. The PFT consisted of four different breathing tests that measure lung capacity and function. I didn't have any problems with the tests. Katie, the tech, was impressed with my breathing skills. I told her I've always had alot of hot air. Katie is good at giving breathing tests, not so good at picking up on sarcasm.

Thursday I had surgery to place the "Power Port" in my chest. After having elevated blood pressure readings my last couple of appointments/surgeries I was happy to see that I am back in the "normal" range. I believe it is due to my lessened anxiety (you'll read why in the next paragraph). I guess it doesn't really matter why as long as my blood pressure stays down. I had a great team for this surgery. I took it as a good sign that my pre-op nurse was named Joan (my Cannonball Grandmas name) and I couldn't have been more right. I had the best team that day (I grabbed a comment card so I can give credit where credit is due!). From the phlebotomist to ekg tech to surgeon to recovery nurse. They were all great people. I loved the ekg tech the most. I mean, who couldn't love an 80 year old named Freya?!?! The "Power Port" was placed just above my left breast and can be palpated through my skin. Kind of weird but I've had numerous people tell me I'll be so happy it's there when I start chemo. It's similar in size to a 2 liter soda lid and is in the shape of a triangle. It can be used to both give medication and draw blood so my poor arms can have a break. One little, funny story about my recovery - As I was coming out of the fog I could hear Justin (a 15 year old kid who just had his appendix removed) becoming disgruntled and confused as to where he was. The nurses rushed to his side to calm him down and he fell back asleep, as did I. I have no sense of time but not too long after that a third patient, Sylvia, was placed in between us. Sylvia must have had the really good stuff because her snoring rattled the walls. I kept thinking in my head, "I wish she would quit snoring, I wish she would quit snoring.". Well, I didn't have to think those thoughts for very long because her snoring alarmed Justin who, again, became disgruntled and yelled, "SHUT UP, LADY!!!". The nurses rushed to calm him down but I was giving him praise from across the room. Thank you, Justin.

And now to the really good news... I received a call from Dr. K2 on Wednesday night. The results of all the tests came back as he had expected and hoped for and I am in Stage 2! I never thought I would be cheering for any stage of cancer but I'll take Stage 2. It does not appear that the cancer has spread to my bones or my brain and is localized to my chest area, YAY!!! He didn't want me to go through the weekend wondering what was going on so he made that call. I like him even more now. I will still meet with him Monday morning before my first chemo treatment to go over everything face to face but it is a relief knowing that information already.

My Mom has been playing taxi driver and personal assistant for me and seems to be enjoying the job. Jereme made it into town yesterday and we are all headed to a Spring Training game today. Please continue to pray for restful sleep and peace of mind. Thank you!

13 comments:

Eryn said...

Phase 2! Now that is good news! Now, go have fun with your mom and Jereme!

Anonymous said...

Good news all around - you are getting great care, and, your sense of humor is even getting better!!! Love you - Barbu

Anonymous said...

loved the commentary on the snoring lady...in the midst of the craziness and anesthesia its great to see your humor. Kim

Sally said...

Jen. You are amazing. Sorry about my name, it's an Etsy thing...

Sara said...

Great news Jen! Glad you, mom, and jerm are having a good time..I liked your story about Justin..its funny how God puts people in your life to humor/enlighten you when times are tough..God has a great sense of humor too..Enjoy the rest of your weekend..I love you.

Barbara said...

What great news, stage 2 only!! Now, on to beating this cancer altogether. With your inner strength, positive attitude, and the wonderful care you are receiving I see the cancer running scared...... Love you! Barb

Molly Nemecek said...

Praising God for stage 2!! That's HUGE!! I loved your funny story about Justin....you always make me laugh. Enjoy your time with mom and bro. I'm continuing to pray.

Unknown said...

great news Jen....woohoo to stage 2 and a huge woohoo to your Mom and Jereme and spring training!!!! love ya cuz....T :)

Anonymous said...

Jen-I ran into your sister at Kaiser on Friday and she shared your blog address with me. I just spent the past 10 minutes catching myself up with your prognosis and stopped at the end of the "good News" post to say a prayer of healing, peace, comfort, and good humor for you. It's been years since we've been in touch, but it's to crazy to think of how roads cross again later in life. I'm a cancer immunologist here in Portland and give even greater meaning to my work. Keep up the posts, the laughter, and the positive attitude and we'll continue to pray for you. All the best. Amy Moran

Carmel said...

Keep up the positive spirit. You are going to make it through this. Let me know if you need ANYTHING. Mike is ready for another round of Bunco. Much love, Carmel and the familia

Jen Ebright said...

That is great news Jen! I am continuing to pray for you everyday my friend. Enjoy your weekend.

Jen

Jen Morris said...

Eryn-That just reminded me of playing Phase 10 with your fam. I had a great time with my bro and mom.

Barb-I'm getting lots of material for a stand-up show, that's for sure!

Kim-I'm not sure how people survive without a sense of humor because it would be easy to slip up and be consumed by it all.

Sally aka "Moonlight Sally"-I love that name, may need to start using it all of the time. Thank you for the compliment :)

Sara-God does have a sense of humor, that's for sure. We had a nice weekend - we were just missing BooBoo. I love you too.

Barb-The cancer better be running scared because I'm firing away!

Molly-Justin was a good kid and funny without even knowing it. Thank you for the prayers.

Toni-We saw a great Spring Training game on Saturday and enjoyed the day together. Love you too cuz!

Amy-Holy cow! So nice to hear from you. Thank you for praying. I would love to talk to you more about your job. Message me your email when you get a chance and I'll be in touch.

Carmel-Thank you for the kind words. I am looking forward to our next Bunco but I'm not sure I want to play with your family - I'm pretty sure they took all the money last time! :)

Jen-Thank you for your prayers. I really appreciate them.

Mrs. Magula said...

Jennyfuh! Again, I know I'm late, but felt like I was right there with you in the recovery room. Props to Justin for tellin it like it is, right?!? Gosh, stage 2, AMEN! This sucker sure hasn't gotten the best of you!!!