Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Last Month

I have been sending out email updates for awhile and thought I would post a few for those of you who have recently been added to the list. (Start at the bottom).

March 9 - "Oncology Appointment"
Yesterday was hard. There's really no other way to say it. Spending over 2 hours in a cancer treatment center wouldn't exactly be on my top ten list of things to do on a Tuesday afternoon. Ok, maybe it would if I was volunteering or something but it was about my own cancer treatment and it was hard. With that being said, it was also a very enlightening and educational experience. My oncologist (I never really wanted to claim one of these but I'll claim the one I got!) and his nurse were great. They clearly have a calling for this type of work. Dr. K2 was an optimistic straight shooter and Kathy was all about details and my comfort. I walked out of their office on information overload but am more clear on my treatment plan. The first step(s) will be a battery of tests and procedures over the next week to determine the stage of cancer, establish baseline readings and prepare me for my first round of chemo. This will include:
*Labwork (full panel screening of white and red blood cells, platelets, etc.)
*Echocardiogram (determine baseline cardiovascular health because of potential chemo effects on my heart)
*PET scan (a full body scan to determine if there is cancerous activity in any other areas of my body)
*MRI of my brain (screening of neurological activity, again to determine if the cancer has spread)
*Bone marrow biopsy (needle aspiration while I am under sedation, again to determine if the cancer has spread)
*Port placement surgery (outpatient surgery to install port in my chest that will allow for one line to be used for treatments and blood draws rather than multiple needle sticks)
That's a bit of an intimidating list but I'll be taking one step at a time. At this point Dr. K2 is hoping for Stage 2 Favorable Hodgkin's Lymphoma but that won't be finalized until all test results are back. I will begin chemo on Monday March 21st. We are hoping for 4, possibly 6, rounds of chemo with each round consisting of 2 treatments. Each treatment will take approximately 2-3 hours every other week. I will be getting 4 different medications at each treatment (I'll go over those in another email). For the time being my specific prayer requests would be that the cancer is localized to my chest area and I am able to get some sleep in the coming weeks. Thank you all so much for your support and prayers, I can't say that enough! Also, here is the website of the cancer center, it's an easy website to use with lots of information: www.ironwoodcrc.com.

March 7 - "Checking In"
Hello All,
Just a quick check-in after my meeting with Dr. S this afternoon. I didn't really learn anything new but did have a good conversation with him. He confirmed that I have Hodgkin's lymphoma but was not able to give me a stage because that is something the oncologist will do most likely after a pet scan. He did say that surgery would not be an option at this point so my treatment plan will most likely be chemo and/or radiation. I have my first appointment with an oncologist tomorrow afternoon and should know more after that. Although Dr. K is out on bed rest Dr. S has spoken with her to let her know what's going on and her nurse called to check in with me today (something I really appreciated). I will send another update tomorrow afternoon. Thank you for the continued prayers.

March 1 - "Faith"
"If you have great challenges, have greater faith." - Unknown

First and foremost I want to say that I am blessed with amazing family and friends and for that I am grateful. I know most of you have been anxiously awaiting an update on todays surgery but it has taken me a little while to figure out what to say. As much as I would like to speak to each of you individually that would be completely overwhelming at the moment and quite honestly I'm not sure my voice could handle it! There's really no easy way to say this so I'll just get to the point - the surgery went as scheduled and while I was in recovery Dr. S came in to speak with me and Gabi and shared that today's biopsy came back as lymphoma. He is not positive of what kind at this point but is leaning towards Hodgkin's. While this is obviously not what I had hoped for I will say that in a strange, strange way it brought a sense of relief. That feels weird to even say but it's true. The anxiety of this unknown is gone. We can work on a plan and move on. Typically I would go back to Dr. K to set up that plan but she is now out on maternity leave so Dr. S will take me under his wing and help me with the next steps. I meet with him on Monday to go over the specific type of lymphoma and what comes next. I would like to say at this point that I am doing well but at the same time I don't think everything has quite hit me yet. I do have a sense of peace but I won't say I'm not a little scared. I am at home recovering and feel pretty good (the Vicodin may take some of that credit). Gabi is a great nurse (my Mom has dubbed her an angel. I'm not arguing but don't tell her that!) and Theresa just delivered homemade turkey soup (yummy!), movies (only comedies) and magazines (the trashy kind!). :) I appreciate all of the emails, calls, texts and cards you all have sent. Thank you for the prayers, support and love. I feel it. The journey continues and I'm glad I have all of you on board!

February 24 - "Obstacles"
"If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t go anywhere." -Unknown

I read this quote earlier today and latched onto it. It rings true for me in this moment. I spoke with Dr. S (my surgeon) a little while ago and it sounds like I'll be back in surgery on Tuesday. Two specimen came back as rare granulomas and he's not comfortable waiting to see what they grow in the lab (my cliff notes summary/interpretation of our conversation). He will be doing a mediastinoscopy this time. Depending on the time of day it is scheduled it will hopefully be an outpatient procedure. I have recovered nicely from my surgery on Tuesday - the expected sore throat and lethargy but nothing too crazy. I was back at work today and besides limited time on the phone (to avoid having to talk/swallow) it was a "normal" day. I'm not sure any of my officemates qualify as "normal" but they are second to none when it comes to moral support and helping me keep a smile on my face :) I have expanded my food choices to include yogurt, applesauce and pudding and at lunch I managed to eat some soup and soggy bread! Yuuuummmmy! I am looking forward to orange chicken and hot 'n sour soup from PF Changs for dinner tonight. Have I mentioned how awesome my roommate is? She was my chauffeur and babysitter on Tuesday and Wednesday. And tonight she will be delivery driver. What a friend! Dr. S and the rest of the operating room staff at St. Josephs were great. I didn't want to see them again (especially so soon) but I know I'll be in good hands. Thank you all so much for your continued prayers, calls, emails. They are much appreciated. I am anxious to be done with all this and look forward to sending the email that we're in the clear!

No comments: