Monday, April 18, 2011

Faith and Motivation

Over the last couple of days I have watched two movies that are based on true stories about the power of the human spirit and the will to overcome obstacles. They have helped me gain some perspective and tap into a source that is beyond powerful - the human mind. If you haven't already seen them, I highly recommend "Soul Surfer" and "127 Hours".

"Soul Surfer" is the true story of Bethany Hamilton, a surfer who lost her arm in a shark attack at the age of 13. She has an undeniable faith and love for God that she leans on heavily. She learned to surf again with one arm and is beyond amazing when it comes to physical strength. I loved the whole movie, not only for the inspiration, but for the sweet shots of Oahu and Kauai too! I like how she asks "Why me?" not in a pity-party way but more like a "Why me? What is God's plan and how is He going to use me?" kinda way. I relate to that. I don't have the answer but I'm trying to stay open minded (and to be honest that kinda scares me!).

"127 Hours" is the true story of Aron Ralston, a hiker from Colorado. Aron was trapped in a canyon with his arm pinned under a boulder for 127 hours - that's over 5 days! - before he cut off his own arm to free himself. Talk about the will to live! And not only live but thrive. Since recovering, Aron has resumed his aspiration of summiting all 59 Colorado peaks over 14,000 feet during the winter. My favorite quote from Aron is, "At this point, I've got the confidence to know that I'll get through anything in my life given I have the motivation to do it, ... If it's an act of survival, we've all got a reason to keep living. It may not be pretty, but surviving is grit and determination in its highest form. I learned that I've got the capacity to do a hell of a lot more than I thought I could if I have the proper motivation." Motivation is huge. I have motivation. I just need to remind myself every once in awhile.

I highly recommend both of these movies. Sit back, relax, put your "obstacles" in perspective and be thankful you have both arms!

4 comments:

Ron said...

Just a coincidence worth sharing. This morning Chris was telling me that Matthew, our 8 year old grandson was telling his mother about a movie he had seen where the guy had to cut off his own arm!!!

Shalyse said...

Jen....I loved your email this morning!!! You are seriously AMAZING!!!! you are INSPIRING!! Love this post! I have wanted to see both of those movies, they sound so great with great messages of PERSERVERENCE!!

GO GIRL!! :-)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I know that I am guilty of getting wrapped up in my own "obstacles" at times. I need to remember the people with real problems. Thank you for continuing to teach me life lessons...even at the ripe age of 32. I know I will continue to learn from you even when we're old ladies sitting on the lanai in Maui watching the whales :) Thank you for reminding me how blessed I am to have both my arms! Loved Soul Surfer and I imagine 127 Hours will rank up there also. I love you. Just keep swimming my friend.
:) Tosh

Anonymous said...

Jen, I read your posts and think to myself how amazing you truly are! I'm wondering how is it we're suppose to be the ones encouraging and inspiring you, yet it's the other way around. Keep that spirit! Love you! Teri