Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Prayer Quilt

Late last week a package addressed to me was delivered to our doorstep. The box was large but light and had obviously seen better days. As I got ready to rip into it I inspected the return label but it gave no indication of the individual who had sent it. I wondered what it was and who it was from. I dug in. Inside was the biggest Ziploc bag I have ever seen with a card attached to the outside. I opened the card and read the words. I read powerful words. Loving words. Caring words. Words that left me speechless. The words were from the Mom of two of my friends. A Mom whom I have only met once or twice. A Mom who clearly loves her daughters and her daughters friends. I passed the card to Gabi as I opened up the Ziploc bag and proceeded to unwrap a beautiful quilt. I just stared at it. Gabi summed it up when she handed the card back and said, "That just gave me chills.". It's true, it did me too. The Prayer Quilt had a little handwritten note attached that says, "Jen, may this quilt be a reminder that you are wrapped in love and covered in prayer.". My eyes welled up but really the only thing I could do was smile and say, "Wow.". Thank you Becky, thank you for the Prayer Quilt, thank you for praying for me and thank you for reminding me that I am not alone and "He will not leave us nor forsake us.". Your generosity is beyond words.

I just want to say that in the midst of this trial I know that I am loved. I am loved by God, my family, my friends, acquaintances of those who know me and strangers who don't know me at all. That is an overwhelming thought (in a very, very good way).

“When angels visit us, we do not hear the rustle of wings, nor feel the feathery touch of the breast of a dove; but we know their presence by the love they create in our hearts.”

8 comments:

Molly Nemecek said...

Oh my, how precious! And how very true...you are loved deeply and covered in prayer, friend! God is always for you, never against you!

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing this story again. What a wonderful gift! That has to be an amazing feeling... to know that a quilt was made by praying women who had YOU in mind while making it! Just another reminder of how many people believe that God is with you every step of this fight. For the record, I'd just like to say that I BELIEVE :)
Love,
Tosh

Sally said...

Wow. Brought tears to my eyes too. Would love to see pictures... Jen, in case you forget... you are amazing, you rock, and we all love you.
Sally

Christina said...

Alright - That even made me cry! Tosh can tell you how fantastic a feat that is - although lately I cant really believe Im not always a crying mess. Ive caught up on a few of the post and smiled, teared up and laughed. I honestly believe your blog is evidence of your clear ability to write! Remember what I said before and know that YOU are a blessing to all you come in contact with..yesterday, today and the vast future filled with plans that God has for you! Love and hugs - Christina

Breanne said...

That's beautiful. I love this post, Jen.

Anonymous said...

I decided this morning, while the house was still quiet (Keith and Mad are still sleeping), I would catch up on your blog. I'm sitting on a stability ball in the guest room crying an laughing reading your posts. Jen, I have to say this....you're an amazing writer! You write from the heart and yes, you are surrounded with lots of love from so many people. You always fill a room with happiness. Whenever I think of you, a smile always come to me.
I'm glad you did some yoga, as you know, it's so good for the body, heart and soul.
Can I please say, welcome to the world of hot flashes!!! hehe....aren't they a bitch! LOL
lots of love always....T:)

allisa jacobs said...

what an amazing gift! An such true words :)

Would love to see photos!

xoxo

Jen Morris said...

Molly - I'm definitely covered in prayer and the quilt made it so literal. Can't wait to see you next month!

Tosh - Thanks for believing!

Sally - I will get pictures up soon. Love you too!

Heyna - As long as you're laughing more than crying it's a good thing! I am definitely blessed.

Breanne - Thank you.

T - The hot flashes are a real &^%* but I can manage. Be careful laughing and crying while sitting on an exercise ball - you'll end up on the ground! Love you!

Allisa - The quilt made me think about the weekend we went to the Sisters quilt show. Good memories. Pictures coming soon!