Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bumps in the Road

"If you're going through hell
Keep on going, don't slow down
If you're scared, don't show it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there"
- Rodney Atkins

The last two days have not been good ones. I could feel myself getting a bit overwhelmed with the anticipation of my appointment with my oncologist yesterday and what his words would mean in regards to my health. We were going to go over the results of the cat scan I had last Thursday. It was the halfway point in my original treatment plan and would be compared to the cat scan before I began treatment. It's crazy to me how you can have such extreme reactions to one statement. My cancerous area has shrunk by 80%.....80%!!!! Yes! It's working! That's great! But 80% also means no change in plans as far as number of chemo treatments I have to endure and at this point I will also be doing radiation for three weeks. After my 8th chemo treatment I will have a two week break then begin three straight weeks of radiation - five days a week, 5 minutes each time. I needed a calendar because I had a bad feeling about this timeframe. I was right. On that schedule I will be receiving my third week of radiation the week of Graeagle. For those of you that know me well Graeagle is my happy place. I will go so far as to say it's my favorite place on earth. My family has been making the trip to the cabins tucked in the northern Sierra mountains for 30+ years. I can't miss Graeagle. I am TRYING not to get bogged down by that thought but it's hard. That was supposed to be my finish line. My reward for this crap I'm pushing through. And I suppose it still can be if I can convince the doctors I only need a one week break between chemo and radiation. We'll see if that's even a possibility when I meet with the radiation oncologist. Maybe the fact that I had booked my tickets before I even knew I had cancer will help in the decision!

So, needless to say, yesterdays treatment was a bit of a bummer. I didn't want to be there. At all. Amidst my self pity there were a couple bright spots. For the first time since I started treatment Shirley was able to access my port on the very first try! Big props to Shirley! My chest was still bruised from accessing it last week for my cat scan so I was very happy it only took one jab. Shirley also shared with me that she had spoken with Dr. K2's nurse practitioner and she gave raving reviews of me as a patient. I think Shirley knew I needed to hear something like that. I did. It helped.

I'm trying to stay as positive as I can but since this blog is an outlet for me I thought I should be honest and share the not so pretty stuff too. So there it is.

7 comments:

Kenny said...

Jennifer, My heart breaks for you, knowing what your going through and how we set our minds on finish lines. The one thing that came to my mind first was "trust". It reminded me of the poem "footprints in the sand". Please read it again....He has never left you..and this is one of those times you need to let Him carry you...Love,Dad

Anonymous said...

You can do it Jen. I know you can. I have so much faith in you. You are beating this. You will continue to push through this. I know you love Graeagle and all the memories, but you will have so many years to make more once you get past this. I am so thankful for the 80% and I can't wait until we get to 100%! I can see THAT finish line! That's only 20% more! Thank you God for healing my best friend's body. I pray you continue to give her strenghth and help her to trust in you and your healing power. Help her to have faith in YOU and YOUR plan for her life through this battle. Amen.
PS- Kenny made me cry.
I heart you...berry much!
Tosh

Cheryl said...

My dear daughter,
I wish I could take your heartache away.When you hurt I hurt.I know your disappointment runs deep.I'm glad you were honest today and let your true feelings out. It's OK....you are enduring a trial that requires a great deal of adaptability. You have been amazing
Jen with your endurance and acceptance. I am so proud of you...praying for a healing in your spirit...love, mom

Anonymous said...

One thing I know for sure is that you will find your happy place - and that you will find that there is more than one happy place. You will be exactly where you need to be when Graeagle time comes!
You continue to amaze - love you-
Barb

Sally said...

Many prayers are being sent your way. I hate to see you down. Unfortunately, I have no magic words for you. I am just so proud to know you. You have an amazing spirit and I know that all of this will be behind you soon. Just visualize all of us with our arms around you giving you strength and love...
Sally

Barbara said...

Jen,

You have a wonderful spirit and a will to get through anything! You have the love of your family and friends... I feel for you and think of you often. Reading your parents words, I know that you are so special to so many people.. Keep swimming....Love, Barb

Mrs. Magula said...

Another great, sincere post. Can't be positive all the time, this is heavy stuff. You have already come SO far in the past several weeks. You are going to beat this!!!!!! As for now, sounds like it's time to curl up with that quilt. Just keep swimming, but don't hesitate to grab onto a buoy once in awhile.