Saturday, May 14, 2011

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

A couple weeks ago I was at the Apple store perusing the accessories wall. My head was freshly shaved and I was wearing a hat. Up walks an employee - a young Asian girl who was small in stature and a bit punked out with her funky jewelry and three different colors of hair. I observed all of those things and I'm not sure what I expected but it wasn't the conversation we had. She was direct and she was sincere. "Did you walk the cancer walk?". "No, not this year but I have before.". "Oh. I noticed you don't have hair.". " Yeah, I'm actually being treated for cancer and just shaved it.". "Well, you are rocking that hat. I just thought you should know.". After helping me complete my purchase she held up her hand for a high five and I obliged. "I hope you kick that cancer!". She was the first stranger who acknowledged my lack of hair. I appreciated her openness.

Two days ago I took my laptop in to have my pictures recovered. I was wearing a bandanna. He was wearing a Geek Squad badge. I was intimidated but leery because he also had reddish/purple hair and holes in his ears that I could see through. After explaining my computer issue he said, "If you don't mind me asking, how is treatment going?". It caught me a bit off guard but I didn't mind him asking and I told him that. He asked more questions. How long, what kind, how do I feel. "I hope your cat scan comes back cancer free!". He had other customers lining up behind me but showed a genuine interest in my story. Again, I appreciated that.

The moral of the story is don't judge a book by its cover. These two 'punks' are the only strangers that have left me with words of encouragement and hope and they did it in a respectful and honest way. They asked. They listened. They cared.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is good. How do you feel, by the way? Glad you are out and about shopping, etc - I would think that would be quite difficult (for me, anyway)with the nausea, etc. You are truly amazing.

Love,
Barb

Sara said...

As I sat here reading this to mom I couldn't help but tear up..you have overcome so many obstacles already Jen and you don't let anyone or anything bring you down. It makes my heart happy to know complete strangers are accepting and truly caring about my sisters life..that means a lot to me. Thank you for showing me what bravery truly means. Stay strong, I love you!

Anonymous said...

Such a good lesson to be reminded of! I sometimes want to say something to people who I suspect are battling cancer, but am unsure as to whether it would make them uncomfortable or not. Thanks for sharing your perspective. Very insightful!
:) Tosh

Breanne said...

LOVE that.