Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Checking In

Treatment #6. It was a rough one almost immediately. I literally have a physical reaction walking in to the cancer center now and I think it's because my body knows what's coming. I try to think happy thoughts and distract myself but the smells, the tastes, the sounds give it away. I had a new nurse and she was great. All of the nurses are. Shirley had called me to let me know that because they were closed Monday it was going to be busy so be prepared to wait. I came prepared for 4-5 hours but I must have come between waves because we set a record of just under 3 hours. I was happy about that. Some of the usual characters were there in addition to some new ones. I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut when one group of ladies began talking loudly and tried 'one upping' each other with cancer and chemo stories. I hate that game in the first place let alone when I'm trying to maintain a good attitude. I turned my ipod up loud and zoned out to some Dixie Chicks.

My stomach was churning by the time I got in my car. Again, I think my body knows what's getting pumped into it. My mind definitely does. I wasn't sure if I'd make it home without hurling on the car next to me but I made it. Just in time to get in the shower. I'll spare you the details but let's just say it was probably best I was already in the shower.

One thing I have been doing is getting a massage the day after treatments. Physically it is healing for me and mentally it helps me visualize that crap killing what it's supposed to and then getting the heck out of my body. This treatment I also did Bikram yoga less than 48 hours after treatment. I was pretty much a lump on a log sweating my brains out but again, it's therapeutic for both my body and mind. I know what I need to do but sometimes it's hard to do it especially when I'm not feeling 100%. A special thanks to Gabi for being a great therapist, teacher and encourager.

I'll write more about my weekend visitors, a special gift I received and the minor bump in the road I had this week a little later. I want to end this post by asking everyone to pray for my friend, Teri, who is just beginning her battle with cancer. Teri is like another mom to me and I know she is scared and nervous for what lies ahead of her. I want to offer her courage and hope that this disease can be beat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the shout out prayer request. I know this is gonna sound weird and you can add me to the list above if you want :) I think that we are so blessed to have you as a "cancer role-model" per say. She kept mentioning you and how awesome you have been through it all. I really do believe you have/will touch and inspire so many people through your battle with cancer. Thank you for all of your time answering questions and for being there. I thank God for you in my life Jen.
I love you...MUCHO!
:) Tosh