Saturday, July 23, 2011

Good News (The Details)

So Wednesday brought about two appointments. One for my PET scan and one for my radiation simulation. I was scheduled to have them at separate times but when I was getting my I.V. for the PET scan done the tech said they could coordinate both tests so I wouldn't have to come back in the afternoon. I was very appreciative of her efforts (atleast before I knew what was coming!). Just like my last PET scan I was left in a dimly lit, quiet room for about 45 minutes while the radiotracer circulated through my body. When my time was up another tech led me to the familiar room and I hopped up on the table, a little anxious to get things done and at the same time at ease because I knew what was to come (or so I thought). I knew things may be a little more complicated when they but a giant rubber band around my feet so the chance of my legs moving was reduced. Last time they trusted me not to move, this time, not so much. After a few minutes I knew why. With my legs banded together and my arms firmly at my sides they proceeded to maneuver my head into a hard plastic brace so that my chin was pointed high into the sky and my neck was extended. Ok. This was manageable, not comfortable, but manageable. With not much warning other than, "Don't move! We're going to place a mold over your face that will go from a liquid to solid state. Just relax.". Uh, what? Before I could ask a question that's exactly what they did. A piece of what appeared to be pantyhose/drywall form dipped in warm white silly putty was placed over my face, from the top of my head down past my chin. Manageable. The edges of this contraption were metal and were promptly clamped down on each side of my head, near my ears. Ummmm, manageable? They were kind enough to "pinch" the spots over each eyelid - this would come in handy for me about 15 minutes later. As they were giving me the final instructions on how important it was that I not move I felt a wave of panic and flung my arm out (wanting to test whether I could break free if necessary!) and proceeded to hit the male tech just close enough to his "family jewels" to make him scream, "Whoa! Hey now!". Sorry dude. You just bungeed my legs together, put a contraption over my face that I can't move and you're getting ready to leave the room so you can slide me into a tube. You're lucky I didn't have better aim! I knew I would need to relax if I was going to live. Seriously my heart rate was high and the test was just beginning. Click, click. Into the tube I went. I could open my eyes but couldn't see anything. Panic. I hear Whitney Houston singing, "OOHhhh I wanna dance with somebody...". I can relax to that. In and out of the tube I went all the while the contraption on my face is beginning to take shape. I have moments of panic and moments of bliss. More songs are played and just when I think I can't take anymore I hear the door open and the tech says, "Just 10 more minutes and I can take the mask off. You ok?". Dude, I can't talk. Remember? I let out a grunt. He interprets that as a "yes" and leaves the room. 10 minutes means 3 more songs. I can do this. I try to put myself to sleep. It doesn't work but I try. He finally comes in again (mind you this has been a good 30 minutes from when we started) and I am so relieved to feel him undoing the clamps. He says it is crucial that I not move because the scan is not over but that I can talk if I want. He lifts the mask off and without thinking or hesitation I say, "That is the shittiest thing ever!". He apologizes and leaves the room so the scan can be finished. When I got out to my car I realized I had my camera and snapped this picture trying to show how much pressure was on my face while the mold was setting. This is about 20 minutes after we are done.

I met with Dr. K2 yesterday to go over my bloodwork and PET scan. The results are good. The larger of the masses has shrunk down considerably and he feels that the remaining spots are mostly scar tissue. The results are consistent with what a post chemo Hodgkin's patient would have. He was pleased and so was I. I will be receiving 3 weeks of radiation at an average dose (24 for 5 minutes) and getting another PET scan the second week in October. In the meantime I will get my port flushed (I hate going in the chemo room but it's only for about 10 minutes) every 6 weeks and work on getting back into shape so that my lungs will heal up faster. After I see Dr. K2 in October I am hoping to get clearance to have surgery to remove my port. All around good news. I'm not completely in the clear yet but yesterday was a big day and I am relieved to be moving in the right direction.

My ears continue to bother me so I am trying over the counter medication and hoping they clear up fast although Dr. K2 says it may be a couple months. I also received the o.k. to have my teeth cleaned - I'm hoping this week! And in case you're wondering, the mask that was created will be worn by me every radiation treatment. I'm hoping now that it's in a solid state it won't be so bad. I'll let you know!

I am so thankful for the calls, texts and emails checking up on me. I am blessed beyond words. Please continue to pray that my body continues to heal. Please also pray for my friends and their families who continue to fight their own battles against this horrific disease. Thank you.

"I am not skilled to understand what God hath willed, what God hath planned. I only know at His right hand stands one who is my Savior." - Dorothy Greenwell 1873

7 comments:

Kenny said...

nice pic...you already have more hair than me now....maybe now that you have been there you will curtail the bald jokes. Love, Dad

Jen Morris said...

You wish, baldy!

Sally said...

Girl, you continue to amaze me. Will they let you keep the cool Jen mask? It'll look great hanging on your wall!

Jen Morris said...

Thanks, Sally. I'll see what they say when I ask to keep the mask. I can add it to my collection of random medical supplies. You never know when you'll need it!

Anonymous said...

"Did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I wish I could be..." Was that one playing? I about had a panic attack just reading about your experience. Gotta go take some deep breaths now to chill out!
:) Tosh

Meghann said...

Glad to hear the good news!! Hoping radiation goes quickly and smoothly for you, my nads friend.

Molly Nemecek said...

I do NOT like this one little bit. Not in the night, not in the dark, not even when on my face it leaves a mark. My best attempt at a Dr. Seuss rhyme to express my thoughts about this treatment. BUT, and this is BIG, you're moving in the right direction! Praise the Lord...keep the good news coming!