Monday, July 4, 2011

Moving On

Sorry for the little lull in posts but you know the old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."? Well, I was sticking to it. I do not want to take away from the excitement of finishing my last chemo treatment last Tuesday because believe me, I'm excited to be done, but it was a rough one. Gabi kept me company and I was grateful for that. I had a good visit with Dr. K2 and his nurse practitioner and was willing to do almost anything to stall going into the chemo room! This included, but was not limited to, discussing weight, travel and determining whether or not I have bronchitis. Turns out they thought I have been, am, will be, whatever, fighting off a little bronchitis so I walked out with additional prescriptions and a reminder to sleep with a humidifier. This did not keep me from the chemo room. Dang!

Anyway, I went out with a bang for my last chemo. The poor nurse (and another who checked to be sure) was able to access my port but got no blood return. Because of the type of chemo I receive they have to have a good blood return before administering the drugs (they want to be sure the drugs are going into my bloodstream and being immediately diluted because of side effects). They thought it was due to a hematoma so I had two choices - have a drug administered for 30-60 minutes that would dissolve the hematoma or have the chemo administered through my hand. I chose the additional drug.

The side effects seemed to be a little harsher this time. I think part of it had to due with the additional medications I am on for the bronchitis. In addition to the "typical" hot flashes, full ears and nausea I noticed my hands, feet and mouth have been more sensitive. I can't wait for all of this to pass. It's getting better but I'm not quite there yet. Something else that I haven't really discussed but know is causing some of my sweet (read: rollercoaster) mood swings is temporary menopause. I haven't really discussed it because it's not one of my favorite topics but unfortunately I think it is here. I have mixed feelings (literally!) about this side effect. Part of me is excited not to have to deal with "Aunt Flo" each month and part of me is bummed to think about what the long term effects may be - infertility. Not that I was planning on going out and getting pregnant tomorrow but it seems weird to think about not really having the option. It's not a guarantee of infertility and most likely "Aunt Flo" will resume again in 6-9 months but it's kind of a dark thought. So honestly, I try not to go there!

The church that I have been attending has a cancer support group once a month and I was able to attend again last weekend. It is nice to have a group of people who are going through or have already gone through much of what I am. I get strength from their stories...men, women, husbands, wives, children, all fighting different types and stages of cancer. There's a peace and comfort knowing you're not alone.

My Dad flew down to spend this weekend with me and celebrate my last chemo treatment. I wasn't really feeling very good for much of his trip but I'm glad he came, I enjoyed his company. We had fun soaking up the sun (a near record 118 on Saturday) and splashing around the waterpark (if you know him, ask him about his waterslide experience). He definitely knows how to make me laugh and that's just what I needed.

3 comments:

Breanne said...

I'm glad you had your dad around for this last treatment, and the group at church sounds amazing. You are so tough, Jen. Thinking of you! xo

Mrs. Magula said...

Congratulations on completing your final chemo treatment, Jen! (But I'm so sorry it was such a doozey). Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

Yay for no more chemo! I know it's been tough on your body...and mind at times, but you rocked it. You continue to amaze me. I am so glad you and your dad had a great weekend and that you get to go to Graeagle later this month. Can't wait until you're visiting us again too :)
Love you,
Tosh