Monday, August 15, 2011

My Grandma

I know that most of you are waiting to hear about my trip to Graeagle and how the start of radiation has gone but the thing that is on my mind right now is my Grandma. My cannonball Grandma, Grandma Joan. Two years ago today she passed away and boy do I miss her. My Grandma and I had alot of things in common, that's not something every granddaughter can say. The sun, Graeagle, "luck", laughing and cannonballs to name a few. She loved to photograph barns, cows and landscape. She learned to paint in her later years - flowers, scenery and us grandkids. She taught me to drive a stick (although she wasn't a very good teacher because I was the only grandkid to FAIL Grandpa's test). I miss her Bugs Bunny face and her laugh that turned into a squeal and then a warning that she may wet her pants! I love how competitive she was..."Whack-A-Mole", golf, Sudoku, hula-hooping...nothing stood between her and a win! I love how she addressed my cards Jen(nifer). I love how I have a voicemail of her saying, "Don't forget the buttwiper.". I love how when I would mention I had lost or misplaced something she would say a prayer over the phone to St. Anthony and anxiously wait for me to report I had found it. I'm sure having to hear of my cancer diagnosis would have crushed her but in the same moment she would have provided comfort. Comfort only a Grandma can. I love you Grandma.

The thing that amazes me is that all of these pictures were taken just a week before she died. So inspiring...








4 comments:

Hillary said...

What a beautiful tribute to a lady who sounds like a ton of fun!! She clearly lived life to the fullest and left a legacy for those who were lucky enough to know her. I miss my grandaddy too...our family lights a candle each year to remember him on the day of his passing. It's only burned once a year, smells wonderful and makes me smile thinking of him.

Meghann said...

Jen, your grandma sounded like one rad woman. What awesome and priceless memories you have of her!

Molly Nemecek said...

So this is who you get all your spunk from! Many of the qualities you use to describe her remind me so much of you...so amazing you two are! What a sweet way to honor her!

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed to have had the years you did with such a inpirational woman. She really LIVED life. What a role model. I want to be like her when I grow up :)
I love you,
Tosh