Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Radiation

I began to experience slight discomfort in my throat at the end of last week but knew it was something I could manage. As I went into the weekend the discomfort began to increase when I tried to swallow and by Sunday afternoon I had reached my limit. The liquid Vicodin I was taking didn't touch the pain so Monday morning I called the doctors office. In the back of my mind I knew what the suggestion would be but I tried to convince myself that there may be other possibilities. Painful swallowing? Yes. Blood in sputum? Yes. Choking on spit? Yes. These answers guided me to postponing this weeks treatments and I had a meltdown. I want to be done with all of this. Cross the finish line and never look back. I was given a prescription for Percocet and sent home to crush the pills and do my best to manage the pain. This was not in my plans, it postpones my finish line. After crying harder than I've cried since this journey began, I felt better. The irrational thoughts I was thinking began to fade and I knew I'd be okay. Just another little bump in the road that I can and will handle. The medication has taken the edge off and I'm anticipating being able to go back in for radiation treatments next week. In the meantime, I am focusing on accepting the fact that I don't write all of the rules and control all of the plans. On Sunday in church the pastor said something that has stuck with me, "The difference between hope and despair is faith.". I continue to have faith that I'm right where I'm supposed to be.

3 comments:

Erika Bender said...

You continue to amaze me with your blog and the grace in which you write your thoughts. I will not say "I understand" as I know I will never be able to do so. I only offer my support and wish I could take away some of the pain and frustration. The finish line is near and you continue to have the blessings of all your friends and family. I offer one of my favorite quotes that always brings me comfort, "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential, is invisible to the eye."~anonymous

Kristin Saddler said...

Jen,

This all came to a suprise to me, hearing of your battle, I just read through your blog, and can I just say, you are amazing, the strength and courage you have, is the most important thing, and you have achived that!! It's a long process, I know... I wish you nothing but the best with Everything!! GO ROYALS!! :) lol...

Thoughts and prayers are with you!!

Kristin Saddler

Molly said...

....aargh....in a real mean pirate voice. sorry for the bump friend. and you are with out a shadow of a doubt exactly where you are supposed to be...tucked right in the palm of His hands.